Garbage & Recycling
- All trash/recycle containers must be placed outside by 7 a.m. on collection day.
- Place the container in the street with wheels against the curb or within two feet of the blacktop, and the front of the container facing the street.
- Containers must be placed four feet apart from other containers and eight feet from mailboxes, poles, fences, trees, or parked vehicles for easy access.
- Please bag your trash and make sure bags fit in the cart with the lid closed.
- The following items can be recycled: aluminum and steel cans; plastic bottles, jugs, and jars; cardboard and boxboard; and paper. All items must be clean and dry.
- Do not bag your recyclables in a plastic garbage sack.
- The City currently does not offer curbside green waste disposal.
- Garbage collection is Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Please see the route map for your specific pickup day.
- Recycling collection is every other week. See the Recyclable Calendar and Acceptable Items (PDF) handout.
- Observed holidays will delay service by one day for all days that fall on or after the holiday.
- All other holidays are normal collection days.
Observed Holidays Impacting Collection 2023
Services will be delayed by one day the week of:
- Memorial Day Monday May 29
- Independence Day Tuesday July 4
- Labor Day Monday September 4
- Christmas Day (Observed) Monday December 25
What do I do if my trash/recycle was missed and I followed the guidelines?
- Contact Waste Management directly at (888) 496-8824. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
To add or remove additional garbage/recycle cans:
- Contact Highland City at (801) 756-5751.
- Or fill out our online Garbage and Recycle Can Change Application.
- If service is terminated earlier than 12 month, you will be assessed a $10.00 retrieval fee per cart removed. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
How do I get my can(s) replaced or repaired?
Contact Waste Management directly at (888) 496-8824.
- There is a $86.00 replacement container fee that will be billed if a replacement can is requested. E.g. your can blew away in a storm and you are unable to locate it.
- There is a $51.59 container exchange fee for residents who request a new cart simply because it's dirty.
- No fee is assessed if the container becomes damaged due to normal wear and tear and needs to be replaced or repaired. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
|$10 Retrieval Fee||If the trash / recycle container is removed earlier than 12 months.|
|$51.59 Container Exchange Fee||If a new container is requested simply because the old one is dirty.|
|$28.67 Overage Fee||If the container is overfilled and 2 previous warnings have been given, this fee will be applied.|
|$28.67 Reactivation Fee||If services are being reactivated after the container(s) have been removed due to non-payment.|
|$28.67 Container Re-delivery Fee||If within 12 months, you've contaminated your container 3 times and been warned, you will lose the can for 6 months. If you would like to reinstate service, this fee applies.|
|$86.00 Replacement Container Fee||If the container is lost and must be replaced.|
|$28.67 Contamination Fee||If you are putting garbage in recycling or inappropriate things in garbage.|