John & Caroline Hegan
They owned the 160 acres to the south of Poole's, where the school which became the church - the Strasburg Chapel, stands. They built their home (near Number 78, on the 1958 Highland map) in February, 1875, and received his homestead papers March 30, 1881.
John was born in Iowa in 1847 or 1848 when the saints were scattered across that state having been driven from Nauvoo. Caroline was from Prussia and was about two years younger than John but her background is unknown. In the 1880 census they were living in American Fork with and eight year old daughter, Maggie.
The Hegans were good friends with the Winns and they were likely partners in the mining industry in American Fork Canyon. They probably had moved from Highland by the time the school was built on their property in 1888. The 1900 census shows no record of them in Utah.
Source: HIGHLAND HISTORY: A compilation by Charles T Greenland II for the Highland Historical Society
- Highland History
- The 1st Highland LDS Ward
- Electricity Comes to Highland
- Famous Feature
- The People