Highland City Library: Interlibrary Loan Policy
The Highland City Library participates in the Utah State Library’s Interlibrary Loan (ILL) service. The service facilitates loans between libraries, allowing patrons to access materials beyond their local library’s collection. Materials are transported by mail. This policy establishes guidelines that allow the Highland City Library to request and lend materials in the ILL program.
Highland City Library as the requesting library
Highland City Library will draw upon its own collection and the collections of the North Utah County Library Cooperative members before requesting a loan from another library. When utilized, the ILL service will be made available to Highland City Library card holders in good standing. Such loans will follow these guidelines:
1. The library will not request materials that are newer than three months old, unless there is a legitimate research need.
2. A fee of $5 will be charged for each item requested.
3. When materials are received from other libraries, they will be held for seven days. If the materials are not picked up in that time, they will be returned to the lending library.
4. All requested items are subject to the $5 fee whether they are picked up or not.
5. The library reserves the right, at the discretion of the Library Director or at the lending library’s request, to restrict items to in-house usage.
6. Items requested through ILL will be loaned according to The Highland City Library Physical Item Circulation Policy, with any exceptions to the policy noted here.
7. Fines of $1 per day will be charged for overdue ILL items.
8. If the material is not returned to the Highland City Library one month (30 days) after the due date, the patron will be subject to a $20 Interlibrary Loan Service Fee plus the price of the borrowed material if the material is not returned.
9. ILL items may be renewed if the lending library allows it.
10. ILL items may be recalled at any time. Highland City Library will comply promptly.
11. Patrons who do not pick up three or more ILL items within three years will have their ILL privileges suspended.
Highland City Library as the lending library
The Highland City Library will serve other libraries within the state of Utah and any library which complies with the Interlibrary Loan Code of the United States, 2001 . Loans are generally made to libraries not to individuals. Highland City Library seeks to lend as openly as possible to requesting libraries; however, the Library will prioritize fulfilling patron requests over fulfilling ILL requests.
1. Materials will be checked out for five weeks from the Highland City Library. This will allow one week of transit to the borrowing library, three weeks on loan to the borrowing library’s patron, and one week for transit back to the Highland City Library. Renewals will be a three-week period according to availability and Highland City Library patron demand.
2. The Library reserves the right to refuse to accept an interlibrary request if, in the judgment of the Library, fulfillment of the request would involve violation of copyright law.
3. If a borrowing library does not return the material one month (30 days) after the due date, the borrowing library is subject to a $20 ILL service fee plus the price of the material if the material is not returned.
The conditions of this service are set by the Highland City Library Policies; the Interlibrary Loan Code for the United States, 2001; the Utah State Library Interlibrary Loan Policy; the ILL Loan Code; and the Copyright Act of 1976, Title 17. U.S. Code.
Approved by the Highland City Library Board, December 10, 2008. Revised by the Highland City Library Board, February 23, 2011; March 26, 2014; November 29, 2018; June 20, 2023.