Curbside trash and recycling services for Highland residents will switch to Waste Management of Utah (WM) beginning the last week of June. To support a smooth transition, Highland City is working closely with WM to ensure residents are well-informed.
Watch your mail for a new customer packet from WM, which will be sent to your billing address by the third week of June. Please be aware of the following details around the service shift:
- Old Cart Pickup: Republic Services will pick up your old trash and recycling carts from June 26–28 after your weekly service on June 26. Leave empty carts at the curb.
- New Cart Delivery: Waste Management will deliver a new carts to your home between June 15 and June 20. You do not need to be home for delivery. The WM delivery team will leave the carts at your curb along with a tag detailing the information on your new service.
- WM Service Day: The tag attached to your new WM cart will notify you of the day-of-the-week your household will be serviced by WM (Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday). Your WM weekly trash service and every-other-week recycling service will be on the same day of the week. We know that changing pick-up days is annoying. However, spreading out pick-up over multiple days will make it easier for WM to pick-up any cans previously missed. In addition, picking on a day other than Friday means City staff will be in the office to help should any problems arise.
- WM Service Start: WM will begin servicing Highland City on Monday, June 29 at 7:00AM. Plan to start using your WM carts after Republic Services final pickup on June 26. Please note Republic can not pickup a can that is not empty and they will not service a WM can.
- WM Recycling Pickup: Your first WM recycling pickup is also the week of June 29. Be sure to wheel both your trash and recycling carts to the curb on your first day of new service with WM. Remember, only put clean plastic bottles, cans, paper, and cardboard in your recycling cart.
- Rates: The City went out to bid for hauling services because our contract with Republic Services ended June 30. We received 3 bids including one from Republic Services. Of all the bids, Waste Management was the lowest cost. Below are the new rates that will be effective July 1.
|Current Monthly Rate||New Monthly Rate||Monthly Difference|
(for 2 garbage and 1 recycling can)
Call 801-772-4523 for more information on this change.