Show All Answers
You can find out the zoning on your property by calling the Community Development Department at (801) 772-4506. Typically, just a street address is needed. You can also look at the Zoning Map (PDF) or online through Highland City Zoning Map Viewer ; however, we recommend you call the Community Development Department at (801) 772-4506 to verify that the information is correct.
All accessory buildings within Highland City shall conform to the following standards, setbacks and conditions:
(1) An accessory building is any building or structure which is not attached to the main dwelling on the lot that is:
(a) Greater than 200 square feet, or
(b) That is attached to a permanent foundation as defined by the building code.
(2) Size. Accessory buildings shall not cover more than five percent (5%) of the total gross lot area.
(3) Height. No accessory building shall be erected to a height greater than twenty-five feet (25’) from grade.
(4) Setbacks. All accessory buildings shall comply with the following setbacks:
(a) All accessory buildings shall be set back from the front property line a minimum of thirty feet (30') or consistent with the primary dwelling, whichever is less.
(b) An accessory building shall be set back from the rear property line a minimum of ten feet (10').
(c) All accessory buildings shall be set back from the side property line a minimum of ten feet (10').
(i) All accessory buildings shall be set back at minimum an amount of ten feet (10') from the side lot line which abuts a street or ten feet (10’) from the Parkway Detail.
(d) All accessory buildings shall be placed no closer than six (6) feet from the main building. Said six feet shall be measured to the closest part of the structures including any roof overhang.
(5) Materials. Accessory buildings shall be constructed out of exterior materials consistent with the primary dwelling if the lot is 1/2 acre or less.
For a visual representation of the setbacks, please see the Accessory Structure (PDF).